Wednesday, 20 February 2013

To my dear Fin...

Seven months on and my little boy has grown up so fast. I am trying to soak in and savour all of what’s still a baby about him. Before long he will be a toddler, too quick for a long cuddle and much more interested in the world around him.

So, I wanted to write a letter/poem so one day we could sit down and remember these precious baby days together.

To my dear Fin,

 There’s nothing sweeter than cradling you in my arms, a tiny baby no more, you are growing so big and even a little tall.

It’s still dark as you wake for a feed. Your plump rosy cheeks, soft as cotton wool balls, brush my face as I kiss your cheek.

As the sun begins to quiver above the horizon, your room begins to dance with the soft light of dawn.

It warms your face and your eyes begin to open. You look right at me, deep into my eyes with wonder. Our gaze meets. I smile and your face lights up. You gurgle and squeal in delight. It now doesn’t matter that I haven’t slept much that night.

Mother and baby, it’s a bond that won’t be broken. Our connection is deep.

As I make you breakfast you take your favourite seat, upon my hip, resting your little hand on my shoulder. From here you can see the world up high and can stay near to me.

When your daddy and sister come and join us, you grab for their faces, smiling and babbling, “Dad-dad-dad-dad.”

It’s a busy household but you don’t mind too much. You’re also happy to play on your own, sitting up with your legs outstretched, reaching, grabbing and mouthing every toy and object in sight.

When the day gets going we venture outside, you, your sister Isabella, and I. As Isabella plays on the swing you sit back observing, your hands gently pulling at the soft grass beneath. Digging in the dirt and scrunching up the leaves is your new found hobby.

Sleep time comes quickly and you love being wrapped up tight, snug in your cot, you gradually close your eyes. I can hear you from just outside, soft breathing and little sighs.

When you wake again, we take a trip in the car; you love to get out and about. You enjoy the little swing at the park, the see-saw and slippery dip with the help of mummy, holding you tight.

When Daddy returns home from work in the afternoon it’s more fun to be had. Shoulder rides, tickles and gentle rumbles on the lounge room rug.

Then later on its dinner time. A bowl of mashed pumpkin, pear, and broccoli is never neat – you love to get your hands in the bowl and rub the sloppy food all over your seat.

Bath time and your face lights up, it’s time to jump in the tub with Issy & Daddy. You can’t stop kicking your legs as your face is cleaned free of all the grub.

You giggle, splash and play, and then it’s time for a story. Two books, a cuddle and then time for milk and a snuggle with mummy.

Your room has darkened and the house is beginning to quiet as I lay you down to sleep. It’s here that I often gaze back at you. I stare in wonder & awe at this little boy who I love so deep. A blessing to us all.

 

Love Mama xox

 

 

 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! Your little boy seems well loved. Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete