Wednesday, 17 July 2013

New business venture - am I crazy?

I got a little bored in the school holidays and decided to start a new small business. It's an online recycled vintage and retro store.

It was a little out of nowhere and not really thought through. I just thought, why not!? And did it.

So here it is:

https://www.facebook.com/itsthevintagehunter


I am just starting out on Facebook at the moment. I hold a Wednesday night market each week from 8pm where I post all my finds for the week. I've found some amazing things in the last few weeks including a vintage sewing machine, mid-century two seated lounge, antique juice bottles, vintage kitchen chairs, retro Tupperware, a 1960s musical toy for children, retro thermos flasks, enamel bowls, vintage tea cups and more.







 
I love going to different places to hunt out vintage and retro wares. I love the story that goes with each piece. I like to ask about who it belonged to and how old it is. Many of the things I buy come from deceased estates or from older people who are cleaning out their homes and preparing to move into a retirement village. They might think it's junk but I love to find the beauty in it.

If all goes well with my business on Facebook I'll plan on expanding to a website. It's all a bit of fun and not really for profit (although I hope it turns over a little money some time soon!)

I do really miss blogging though. Any spare minute I have is now spent on this new business. I've had no time to just "be", read a book or watch TV. I always make sure I here for the kids but I am certainly more distracted and often multitasking. For example, "Let's play shops, you can be the customer and I will buy these things then take a photo of it."

I am going to give it six months and see how I go. If this doesn't work then I will have to try and find something else. Financially, we are getting to stage where I really need to work. I haven't worked now for more than 12 months. I am itching to get back into work and also relieve my husband of having to support all of us on his income.

But for now, I am just going to give this a go. Hopefully, once things settle down a little in terms of setting up the business, I can get back into blogging soon.

I am wondering though if I am a little crazy for going out on a limb and trying this new business venture out. Have you ever started a small business? Was it a failure or a success?  Do you have any tips or advice? Would love to hear about it!

P.S Don't forget to like 'The Vintage Hunter' Facebook page! x


19 comments:

  1. Awesome! I will go like your page right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very impressive! Good luck with it all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's fabulous! I like to go out on a whim too. Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these vintage pieces too. Pity we don't have much space at home for collecting :(
    Congrats on your new business!

    Ai @ Sakura Haruka

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! When I get bored in the school holidays I just rearrange a kitchen cupboard or something! Congratulations on your new business, I will check it out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done you! It's tough work running your own business but very worth while if you persist with it. I starting my freelance writing business six months ago and it's just starting to pick up. It's been a long, hard slog, especially with a preschooler and an 8 month old baby who still wakes me through the night.

    Believe in yourself! Nothing worth having ever came easy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yay! I'm not alone in jumping off the cliff into adventures. I recently started an online kids toy store with products aimed to enhance sensory play and deal with sensory issues. I just woke up and dived off the cliff.
    I love retro stuff, what a great idea and it's a passion for you which makes it even more fun. Enjoy your adventure. WELL DONE.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so much easier when it's something you're passionate about. Good on you, and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good on you for doing this - I wish I had time to get bored over the school holidays! I think if you're passionate about it, and the timing is right it'll work :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good Luck with your new venture and good on you for trying it. Much respect for having the balls to give it a go. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing - I've just done the same thing but absolutely dived in ... Like a Labrador into a swimming pool. It's fun, all-consuming, interesting and sometimes a bit overwhelming, but I love adventures so I'm totally into it.

    Good luck! If you ever have questions give me a yell, or if you just feel like sharing, it's great to talk with people doing the same thing. Kim (kim@spiritedmama.com) www.spiritedmama.com :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. As long as you're having fun ... the sewing machine reminds me of the one my Mum had when I was growing up. I just had to look at the darn thing for it to snarl up. Needless to say I'm not much of a seamstress these days but it's a lot easier with a machine that cooperates LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good on you! I just adore vintage items and also love new things that mimic vintage. Love the sewing machine!
    I used to collect kitsch but I ended up with just so much stuff I eventually sold it all. Still miss it but I can't keep everything! Good luck with it all!

    ReplyDelete
  14. An adage says that the devil finds work for idle hands. But in this case, productivity has found you. Way to go! Although this was a little impulsive without the usual business planning, you can manage to make this progress as long as you keep the heart for it. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Incredible! But if you’re really into your new business, you’ll continue to operate regardless of the allotted time span. Establishing a new business is somewhat risky; you must be prepared with the possible shortcomings. Good thing that you have your family to support you.

    Terry @SpefCo.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! You made a good start up, Mel. It’s a good thing that you designated a specific time frame to test the marketability of your business. In that way, you’d know if the field you’re heading on is good or otherwise. I wish you success!

    Cameron Scott

    ReplyDelete