Monday, 1 July 2013

When the kids and I met Kevin Rudd


On Wednesday night I was sitting in front of the TV in complete shock. Kevin Rudd was back as the newly resurrected prime minister.

How could he? Did he just? I can't believe it! Is this really happening? I was feeling a lot of mixed emotions.

It's not like its 2007. We know more about Kevin these days. Some say he's egotistical, smarmy, a prima donna and a control freak.

Yet when my husband Luke phoned me from our local café on Saturday morning to tell me Kevin Rudd was in town, something inside me switched.

I threw off my PJs, got dressed, grabbed my one-year-old son Finlay and sped off into town. I was being overtaken by some strange Kevinator forces. I just HAD to meet him.

This is not me. This is the Kevin '07 me. The former Liberal party voter who viewed Kevin as the new political messiah for Australia, the fresh out of uni graduate who stood up to her right-wing editor and pretty much declared, "In Kevin I Trust".

I always had this "thing" for him. Perhaps it was his charming-smarmy, shiny moon face or the thick, cheesy flow of his political rhetoric, or maybe it was just the way he way he would say "folks" and "fair shake of a sauce bottle."

Perhaps, this "thing" I had for him led me to be like a crazy Rudd groupie on Saturday morning. I ended up running through the freezing cold rain, with my almost one-year-old on my hip, from the car to the café. I bounded up a huge set of stairs and then with a mix of unfitness, nervousness and a dodgy electrical circuit in my heart I experienced a short, unpleasant session of tachycardia. I reminded myself that Kevin has had his own heart troubles too. He'd understand.

Once I recovered, I finally spotted Luke and my three-year-old daughter Issy in the crowd of people that had lined up outside on the shiny, wet, concrete footpath. Everyone was standing out in the cold rain, awaiting with expectation to meet their new recycled leader.

 And there he was.

His shiny and perfectly combed silver locks gleamed under his black umbrella across the street. He crossed the road, edging closer to where I stood. A crowd of people surged forward, trying to get a glimpse.

 "Hi folks, nice to meet you," he said with a shining smile.
 
Then I thought, this is my chance. I grabbed the kids and pressed into the crowd, squeezing past the journos and video cameramen to meet my 2007 hero.



Cameras flashed all around us but to me it felt like it was just Kev and I standing there alone. We chatted about boring deep and intellectual things like baby milestones and his one-year-old grand daughter.

I then heard an all too eager voice from behind me and a familiar looking head thrust forward to break up the little party of two.  It was my local member who of course wanted to be included in the action.
 
Towards the end of our conversation my daughter lovingly picked her nose,  who knows where she wiped it but from the look on Kevin's face he must have known something was coming for him.




Once we said goodbye, we watched the Rudd groupies walk further down the street. I was still in disbelief. Even more so when that night around 6pm my husband and I started receiving text messages from our friends.

My husband's mate:

"Just saw your wife on TV. We know who you are voting for!"

My neighbour:

"Did I just see Issy in Kevin Rudd's arms?"

My cousin:

"You look like you're in love."

My aunty:

"Hope he didn't get your phone number."

Our little meet and greet with Kevin Rudd was flashed on screens across five different media networks. Our TV decided not to work that night because of the rain so we tuned in later via catch-up TV on the internet.

After such a crazy and exciting day I found it hard to sleep that night. I had a bad case of political fever.

But it didn't last long...

Despite, my seemingly intimate encounter with Kevin Rudd I am still not any closer to working out who to vote for in the 2013 federal election.

How do you feel about this upcoming election? What would you say to Kevin Rudd if you got the chance?







19 comments:

  1. How cool! I've always been a bit of a Rudd-groupie, and back in the day I wore my Kevin 07 badge with pride. Never got to meet him, though. I'm honestly not sure what I'd ask him if I did meet him, probably just stand there and gawp like some total nutter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have to keep your eyes out for any opportunities to meet him then! I think I looked like a total nutter anyway.

      Delete
  2. what an incredible story to be able to tell! LOVE your daughter picking her nose while in Kevin Rudd's arms - what a moment! As for the upcoming election ~ who knows? Is suspect no one does at this stage...
    Josefa from #teamIBOT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a funny moment Josefa. I am sure she will enjoy telling it when she is older too.

      Delete
  3. Glad you got to meet KR - I don't know that I would have dashed off to meet any of the pollies but that is probably just me !!!
    Have the best day !
    Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it was a little crazy!

      Delete
  4. hahaha that is so funny about your daughter picking her nose!
    He definitely has charisma and people power and is very likable.
    I was shocked to see it on the news.
    But I was very impressed to see all the female politicians he has included just now and I think he is just such a positive person so we all like him, and he comes from an average town and an average school, making him very real. I like him and Malcolm Turnbull myself I think they are both intelligent and positive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He sure has people power among the younger people. Yes, I think I'd prefer Malcolm Turnbull over Abbott. We need a leadership challenge over in the Liberal camp!

      Delete
  5. How exciting. Hes the only politician I would really want to meet. He just seems so much more down to earth than the others. Id probably be too nervous to get close to him though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know Toni, I am sure you'd catch the Kev fever and just HAVE to meet him too. :)

      Delete
  6. I can't like the man. The way he has behaved in the last few years to me, has really shown his character, and I don't think I like it. I wouldn't trust him to put the needs of the country before himself. It doesn't matter too much what I think of him though. We will get the leader we deserve. And I guess I won't be voting for him or Abbott, I'll be voting for the best person in my own region. But I can understand why you would have wanted to meet him, and I think it's a bit cool that you got to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see why you don't like him Robyn. I have a love/hate relationship with him. I literally couldn't stand him Wednesday night and three days later I was acting like I was in love with him. In terms of voting, looking at your local leader is definitely the way to go.

      Delete
  7. Haha great story. I love that kids pick the most opportune time to pick their noses too. I really don't know who I will be voting for in the next election. Not keen on any of the choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Renee. I can't stand it when my daughter picks her nose, which isn't too often thank goodness. She sure got the timing right on this occasion.

      Delete
  8. You don't really want to know what I would say to Kevin if I had the chance!!! Definitely not a fan here at all.
    Love your passion though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, well that passion ebbs and flows! Thanks for dropping by Jess.

      Delete
  9. What a cool claim to fame Mel - and to have it captured like this - one for the kid's photo box :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just stumbled on your blog while searching for Rudd stuff. I follow politics and political blogs and commentary closely and you are certainly not alone. Lol, I LOVE HIM! And I'm a former Liberal voter who will be voting Labor for the first time ever this election - BECAUSE of him (also a fear of Abbott being in control of this country).

    Its called Rudd Fever I think, I have a major thing for him too, lots of people do and its hard to explain. He does touch you emotionally and make you love him for some reason, its like being under a spell. People literally and practically throw themselves in his arms on his meet and greets. People love him. His appeal can't really be explained. Rudd is loved by the public, he has a rare charisma, it’s quite extraordinary the incredible emotional connection people have for him. Equally extraordinary is the messianic quality that Rudd creates amongst the public. It doesn’t matter what the papers say,or what his colleagues say, or what he says he connects to them on an emotional level. I have never seen such intense passion for a leader, again it defies all logic. I doubt that even the Murdoch papers will be able to harm his appeal. Rudds time in the wilderness has only strengthened this intense love for him. The fanatical love for Rudd is so intense, the party just didn’t have a choice. I adore him and really really want him to win this election and I too would love to meet him but I would be sooooo nervous. You are so lucky!

    Belinda

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't think I'd say much to Kevin Rudd if I got the chance, simply a hello and an introduction. I'm all about looking beyond the person and the actual party that backs them, and labour just does not make the cut. Unfortunately, there's also not much to like about Tony Abbott, but there is for the party that supports him...so, there's still a little time to think but I'm sure you get the idea! :)

    Thanks a heap for linking up for Mummy Mondays at The Multitasking Mummy

    Eva x

    ReplyDelete